Pages

Friday, November 15, 2013

Chocolate and Apricot Mud Cake

It's been a while! So to take my mind off the fact that I'm melting in a heap with hayfever today I thought I'd do a quick blurb about this cake I made yesterday!

There wasn't any birthday to have the excuse to make a cake and I really felt like eating chocolate cake so I made one 'just because'.
It turned out DELICIOUS! :-) Yusss (waaaay better than the disgusting peanut butter slice/cake thing I made the other day, half of which is still sitting in the pantry and really needs to go in the compost now!)

Here's the nice cake anyway ...


I had a recipe for a mud cake from my Mum's friend which you can either cook as one cake, or 2, and then put filling in the middle. I wasn't sure what to put in the middle but thought some jam would be nice. Unfortunately we didn't have enough jam so I concocted my own jam/conserve/jellyish stuff and it turned out really nice! All I did was put 1 can of apricots (including the juice) and one cup of white sugar in a pot. I brought this to a boil and then turned it down to simmer (whilst stirring occasionally). Near the end it does need to be stirred pretty much constantly so it doesn't catch on the bottom and burn. You know when it's done when you drop a drip onto a plate and when you tip the plate, it doesn't dribble down the plate.
Anyway, here is the mud cake recipe and you can choose to do whatever filling you like! (I'm assuming it would probably work with peaches or other fruit too??)

Chocolate Mud Cake Recipe:

MIX:
2c sugar
1 3/4c flour
3/4c cocoa
1 1/2tsp Baking Powder
1 1/2tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp salt

MIX (separately):
2 eggs
1/2c oil (I used coconut, but you can use any)
3tsp vanilla essence
1c milk

COMBINE the 2 mixtures together with 1c boiling water.

Cook : 2 tins for 35min@ 160 Celsius 
or: 1 tin for 1hr@ 160 Celsius

I made simple butter icing for the top. (softened butter/icing sugar/drops of water to mix)

ENJOY!

Sima J

2 comments:

I love to read your comments!